Minus the Glass

I haven't heard back from anyone about a glass quote... so this is as far as I can get for now. Laying the glass on the top is a no brainer and the sliding doors come ready to screw into place.

The wood is pine and has been stained, waxed, hammered into place, and then tacked tight with wire nails. The G.H. (inappropriate) is for the audio/visual wires from the stereo to the tv, speakers, et al.


One Patina, Two Patina, Three Patina, Four...

I sanded and brushed the blue/black steel to a shiny surface and then treated the surface to a home brew patina. As I staggered through the A&P, eyes glazed over from welding, loading up on all their acidic substances I was sure they thought I was either making a bomb or meth. To the patriot act gov't nerd out there who's computer just flagged this post... I don't know how to make either, and the patina was luck. In other news, all the metal work is done. Now for the wood and glass...


Metal Cut & Welded in Place

Enough people asked me if I drew the SketchUp guy to look like me so here I am playing the role. To answer the question, "no," the program loads with its own dimwit standing there.

I picked up some really handy corner vises at Harbor Freight. That place is hit or miss, always cheap, sometimes too cheap, these however work great. I used the standard magnetic corners for some of the other joints.

I used the Dry Cut-Off for the angle cuts and the Abrasive Cut-Off for the straight cuts. The Dry Cut-Off makes outstandingly precise cuts with no burr.


TV Stand Design Process

I've been living in NYC, away from my CT studio, and have taken advantage of Google's SketchUp to help flush out the design for a TV Stand commission before actually starting the work. It's a great program and really helped with the communication process getting the design to be exactly what is wanted. The images start at the bottom and go up as the design was edited.

The bottom SketchUp drawing was the starting point. It's my own very industrial aesthetic and served as a bare bones base to add ideas to.

I was asked to make the Stereo area be enclosed to protect the equipment from dust and was sent the next image from the Design Within Reach website. The image above the DWR is how I adapted my table to work with the new specs.

The next image up is from the Anthropologie website and was sent to me as an example of the desired color and openness. The image on top was the final and accepted design. I'm now in CT gathering the materials and getting ready to start.